Are you pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Boat for Sale


Jennifer and I were discussing personal ads this evening when I made a startling discovery. Have you every noticed that personal ads sound almost exactly the same as people searching for other things? I mean, think about it. Things like "Hansome Young Businessman seeks Tall, Leggy Professional Woman" could easily be replaced with "Handsome young businessman seeks 40 foot yacht on which to throw extravegant parties and engage in general debauchery." I have since become convinced that many who write personal ads only do so because they were already halfway there from that ad they wrote last week looking for someone to come wash their windows or to find that prized Mickey Mantle baseball card they have been seeking out for some time now. Now I ask all of you next time you read your local newspaper or search on Craigslist to imagine what all of these "man seeking woman" types had actually originally written that particular ad for. I think you'll see my point.

And to end this post I will give you an example of a personal ad from Craigslist under the "missed connections" area that does not necessarily fit the prototypical personal ad but made us laugh extremely hard nonetheless:

Yo girl in the white chevy cav with the hipster cut

And there are many more where that came from.

4 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I've decided that in order to write a good personal ad I might have to adapt a cover letter. Then I would sound pretentious and no one would ask me out on an internet date. Or someone would and it would turn out that he doesn't know what colors make purple and the difference between hours and ours.
Where the hell are all the intelligent yet impractical men in the Milwaukee area?
Why the hell is it so hard to find a date around these parts (well, I mean a date that doesn't know my ex-boyfriend)??

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

I LOVE reading personal ads. Especially the ones that are about what they like in the way of sexual activities!

p.s. congrats on updating your blog!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

SWM 6' with lean build and BBC seeks NS DWF for LTR, BDSM, and blogging!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

SWM 6' with lean build and BBC seeks NS DWF for LTR, BDSM, and blogging... and needs to know personals abbrevs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home